So … I am in Austria.  Let me tell you about my journey that brought me here.

When I returned from Aruba on Saturday, I started to have a shoulder pain that was very intense.  I went to a Phillies game and a concert with my brother on Sunday.  It was fun, but very painful.  My shoulder was hurting so much that I took a trip to the urgent care on Monday (I was hoping it would go away).  After they prescribed me a painkiller and muscle relaxer, I began the arduous task of packing.  I found it easier to pack the bags for what I wasn’t going to take then to pack the bags of what I was going to take.

On Tuesday, I was happy to have Julia and Alyssa stop by after they were done work.  We had burgers for dinner with my wild and crazy family, and then they left me and I continued to pack until my relief, Kathy and Diana, came to my rescue.  My bags for going to Austria were half packed when the arrived, and there was a giant pile of clothing, shoes, and other things that I wanted to bring with me.  Within a half an hour, they rejected half of my clothing and had the bag fully packed.  I hope they are waiting by their phones for me to call yelling that I don’t have any clothing in 2 weeks.  I need selection, ladies!  The big blue suitcase was so packed that I had to take out 6 kilos of items at the airport, because it was over the overweight limit.  I figured taking out an additional 10 kilos (for a grand total or removing 16 kilos) to bring it under the overweight limit would be a bit much.  I think my mom was grateful that I didn’t attempt that.   I opened the bag and started throwing things at here, Nanny and Devon for them to shove in their purses.  That wasn’t enough removing, so my mom’s arms became quite useful.  I also found out that my carry-on was both too  large and too heavy to be a cary on, and so they complimentary checked that bag for me.  So, I wound up carrying a duffel bag of textbooks and my ski helmet onto the plane.  Nanny, Dad, Mo, Devon and I had a snack at Chili’s before  I entered the “passenger’s only” zone. The security was really fast.  There were only about 2 people in front of me in the security line, and then the gate was right there.  By the time I got onto the plane, my family had already gone to cake boss in hoboeken and were passing the airport again.

My flight was relatively with ease.  We waited on the tarmat for a bit before taking off becuase we were ahead of schedule and Dusseldorf will not allow planes to land before 06:00 a.m.  And, when we finally got in the air, we went slowly.  In fact, 2 planes actually passed us during our journey.  It was fun to see that.  I didn’t get any sleep during the 2 hour “night” on the plane.  Then, I went through custons in Dusseldorf and shortly after borded a plane for Vienna.  I got off the plane and went to get my bags … they were already on the belt!  So, I met with Herbert and had a glass of water before we jammed my skis into his car (about a foot to spare with both the passenger seat and one back seat down.  I sat behind him in the car, and we drove to Klosterneuburg (about a half an hour).

There is a monastary with accompanying vineyards in the nearby town of Klosterneuburg.  In fact, Amit and I ate dinner at a Heurigen (wine bar/restaurant).  I had flesh-???? (basically a meat dumpling with meat sauce) and a salad and glass of wine (Grüner Veltliner).  All for under 7 euros!  The, we went to the town center (Rathaus) and hadsat outside for an hour talking.  Then we returned home, and I fell asleep immediatlly! I woke up around 2 a..m., but was able to go back to sleep for another couple of hours.

This morning, I had nutella on bread and a half a grapefruit for breakfast.  I was sad when I relized that I forgot to get juice.  Herbert, Paul, and I went into Klosterneuburg to open my bank account and get Paul’s bank card.  We tried to get me a bike too. … but they are on vacation today.  Next week, I will return!  We worked in a coffeeshop for a little, and now I am here 🙂

The offices are brand new feeling, and the building always seems empty.  I have a very large computer screen, so it makes me happy.The lights are on sensors, so as you walk through the building the lights start going on.  It is actually kinda spooky.  Especially when you think about what happened here during WWII.  There is a lot of construction going on around the campus.  In fact, to get to my house, I climb over some red and white barriers.  Everyone on campus is friendly, and we all eat lunch together, so it is nice.  Actually, I have to put my order in for next week before I leave today.  The campus is on the foothills of the alps, so I am climbing the alps all the time 🙂  (they are really just hills here, but still…)  And, the scenery is beautiful.  Very green.  We are right next to the Vienna forest.

In my apartment, I have a bathroom, kitchenette with fridge, microwave, and dishwasher, a pull-out couch (actually quite comfy), and a balcony. Oh yeah, there is a large closet and tons of bookshelves.  It is comfortable and affordable, but it is quite lonely living out here.  I need some noise.  Amit is definateyl moving into vienna (he is currently living int he guest housing which is like a hotel room … with a maid!  I said there is a lot of construction, and I am not kidding.  My radiators are still not installed, so when I went to take a quick nap after I arrived, the workers rang the bell.  Not understanding what that ringing noise was, I ignored it.  Then, I realized it sounded like a phone, so I continued to ignore it.  After  a couple more rings, I started to get annoyed at the loud rining and got up to answer it, but I couldn’t find the phone.  The next ring, I found it, but nothing happened when I picked up the phone.  After lying back down and getting up when it rang a couple more minutes later, and repeating this twice, I relized the rining wasn’t the phone.  I went to the door out of confusion, and I saw the guy standing there.  Then, I realized that was the doorbell.  God knows how long this actually went on, but I do know he was quite persistent.

I hope to explore Wien a bit this weekend.


One Response to “Arrival”

  1. Kelli Says:

    Whoa! If maintenance needs to do things when I’m not home (or not answering) they let themselves in 🙂 I’m sorry you had to deal with those noises for so long 😦

Let me know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: