To create the beautiful figures in my dissertation, I have decided to venture away from my beloved xfig. Over the past five years, I have become proficient in using xfig, as it is Herbert’s editor of choice. However, I have found it to be quite a nuisance to constantly export to PS/Tex.
I first tried to use ipe, since this is the tool that Dave uses. I can save directly to a PDF in ipe, so the extra step of exporting my figure could be eliminated if I were to use this program. After failing to create a simple example that involved a Circle and four lines, I became frustrated. I tried for a whole hour to move just one point.
Then, Andy suggested using Inkscape. He said that it is more intuitive than ipe. Shortly after beginning my exploration of Inkscape, I found a tutorial online that walked through creating a soup can. At first, I had some issues with creating ellipses (they all had a pizza slice taken out of them!) After that was sorted out, I was easily able to make a can, with a customized label and a shadow.