The Defense

First, I apologize for taking so long to finally write this. But, let me write about my dissertation weekend:

9 June 2012: Some of my family members (mom, dad, Dana & Peyton) embarked on a road trip down to NC. Jersey Frank also drove down solo (haha … why wouldn’t he want to drive with the Fasys?!?!). As they were driving, I practiced my defense talk a few more times. Dave and I went to our friend’s wedding in the afternoon, then we went out to dinner at the Saratoga Grill in Hillsborough.  After dinner, we met our newly wed friends out at the West End Wine Bar.  We didn’t make the actual reception, but at least we were able to celebrate with them a bit.

10 June 2012:  In the morning, Kathy flew in.  My family went shopping at Southpoint to shop, while I practiced a few more (final) times, Kathy settled in, and Dave was grading (I think).  For dinner, we went to Mama Dips since I wanted fried pickles!  Darrell came over that evening to give Dave a haircut.  I went to bed as they were still talking.  I found it incredibly difficult to fall asleep.  I’m not really sure how much I slept that night.  Late in the evening, my brother flew in from Philly.

11 June 2012: This was THE DAY.  I didn’t realize how nervous I was until the day began.  My mom came over in the morning to braid my hair (I attempted to get my hair blown out on Saturday morning, but it just looked like I stuck my fingers in an electrical socket … not the hair style I wanted for my defense).  We eventually made our way to Duke, where we set out a table full of snacks and rearranged the room.  Slowly, everyone started to arrive.  Darrell even showed up with a mo-hawk for the occasion.  I didn’t realize that I was presenting my PhD defense until about half way through.  It seemed surreal.  The questions were friendly (in my opinion), and no real hardball questions were thrown my way.  A little after one hour after I started the presentation, the spectators were kicked out of the room.  In a closed session with my committee, they asked a few more questions before kicking me out too.  We were in the hallway for a little bit (but not too long) before Carlo came out to tell me about a problem .. the committee wrote the wrong date on my paperwork.  His wording choice made Dave have a fearful moment, but I was still in such a daze that I don’t think I heard what he said to me.   I had only a few comments on the dissertation document itself from John.  Other than that, no changes needed to be made!

That evening, we met at Spanky’s for dinner: my family, Herbert and some of my friends.  We got my favorite dish on the menu: the ribs.  We ordered the rib entrée as an appetizer, but could have ordered them for dessert because they were so sweet.  After dinner, Herbert drove Joey to the airport and the rest of my family went back to the hotel (it was Peyton’s bedtime).  The rest of us continued the celebration at the West End Wine Bar and the Crunkleton.

And,that’s how my defense weekend went! I have now submitted all necessary paperwork, made the corrections from John and submitted my dissertation for publication.


2 Responses to “The Defense”

  1. Paul Klingsberg Says:

    Heartfelt congratulations, Dr. Fasy! …wish I’d been there…

Let me know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: